Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Japanese Train Spotting



While in Japan, one of the great joys of mine is riding the train from Kanagawa to Tokyo, standing by the doors, ear buds in my ears, and staring out of the door windows watching the countryside and the neighborhoods as they whiz by, while every once in a while catching a glimpse at the person opposite me as they, presumably, do the exact same thing.

This is the extent of my picture taking ability... while on a train. Do not judge me. 

Japanese train culture is absolutely one of the reasons I love Japan. In the day time, it differs slightly than the nighttime experience, the riders each in their own worlds. DAY: some standing listening to music, some sitting and, in most cases involuntarily, catching some shut eye, some lost in their phones and books. NIGHT: All of the same types as mentioned, except imagine them drunk and vomiting on themselves.

Yes, vomit soaked subway seats bring me immense joy. Do not judge me... again. 
The above photograph is of a scene I captured of something that happened well before I entered the car. A woman's purse was vomited on by some passenger that had since departed the train. I felt sorry for her, as she warily carried her bag off the train holding it at arms length by one strap.  I doubt she was as happy as I felt at that moment. Not because of what had happened to her, but because of the complete randomness of the event. This is something that can happen anywhere, and it probably has, but I doubt as frequently as it happens in Japan.

For agoraphobics, people with horrible cases of OCD, and people who just generally dislike large crowds, the group with which I usually identify, the over crowded early morning and late night sardine can nature of the trains, as well as the ever bustling and impossibly crowded train stations, can be absolute Hell.

I call it Heaven.

I find it all strangely comforting. It's gets so bad at times that you can actually lean against a person instead of grabbing onto a strap to hold your balance. And no one cares about the chaos as they are undoubtedly used to it all.

This article from Rocket News showcases photographs from a Dutch photographer that nicely captures Japan's train culture in the process.

The culture is not the only reason I love the trains there. Living in L.A., horribly inaccurate arrival times can make riding public transportation here a truly frustrating experience. But in Japan, you can set your watches by the train schedules.

If ever in Japan, be sure to experience train culture for yourself. I don't find it possible to miss it as it may be a necessity to travel by it. If you do, say hi to this guy for me.

Although, I doubt he remembers me because he was busy driving the train when I took this.




         

2 comments:

  1. I like these blogs. I would try the trains maybe twice and then say "Well, I did it. Never again." I let buses here go right on by if they are super packed. I just hate being that close to people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd either have to walk, drive, or ride a bike then because this is the dominant mode of travel in Japan. You'd also have to live fairly close to work if you lived there. Unless you don't mind walking endlessly through a maze of streets that have no pattern to them.

    ReplyDelete