Monday, March 4, 2013

Photos of Enoshima (江ノ島の写真)




Enoshima is definitely one of my favorite places of anywhere in the world. One of my favorite things to do when I'm in Japan, besides riding overcrowded trains, is going to Enoshima and climbing to the other side and back of the small and iconic island off the coast of Japan.

The front and back of Enoshima, respectively.... basically.

Enoshima (江ノ島) has been the subject of many a song (it's a favorite topic of the popular band Southern All-Stars) and has even been the main setting for a fairly popular anime series called Tsuritama. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to soon.

Whenever I go, I stay with the family of a very good friend of mine who just happens to live minutes from Shonan beach and Enoshima, so this affords me the opportunity to take as many trips to the island as I want with relative ease, although I don't go there nearly as much as I think I should.

It surprises me how many people still don't know you can climb it. Even certain Japanese people, when I ask if they've ever climbed it, look at me with surprise that even such a thing was possible. Perhaps it's possible that I've just spoken with the very few who haven't known this information. My sample size was pretty small.

The other thing that surprised me was the amount of cats that live on the island. Seriously, there are a LOT of cats.

An unbelievable amount of cats!

At the top is what seems like a small town, with shops and restaurants (mainly for tourists), as well as living quarters. For a while I wondered how practical it would be living at the top of an island (there are no grocery stores for at least a mile or two), but as I thought about it, I would definitely live there if I had the chance, no matter how many times I'd have to climb down the island to stock up on instant noodles.

My dream home.

During the summer time, they build huts by the shores near Enoshima called umi no ie (海の家) which translates to "Beach houses" where they sell drinks and food to people while various musical acts play. 

And on which they paint erotic versions of your favorite anime characters.

Here's an interesting interaction I caught on camera near a beach house of black guys sumo wrestling with a large Japanese fellow.

A surprisingly common occurrence in japan, believe it or not.

I've no idea if he was an actual sumo wrestler or not, but let's just say he was lest people think black guys in Japan enjoy beating up on chubby Japanese locals. I don't want that sterotype to manifest.

Anyway, here's a collection of photos from my various trips to the wonderful island of Enoshima. Enjoy!

The train stop for Enoshima on the Odakyu line.

The view of the mainland from near the top.

The Enoshima Sea Candle




Lover's locks


Friend's of mine. They hold the fort for me when I'm not there.









The above picture is of a family of strange bugs called Ligia Exotica, or wharf roaches, (フナムシ Funamushi) that are found on the back end of island on the rocks. What compelled me to snap this pic, I do not know. But I've posted it here for your disgusting enjoyment.



And this may be my favorite part of the island, the view of the sea as seen from a rocky plateau when you reach the back end of the island. Ah, tranquility.








         



No comments:

Post a Comment